Skip to main content Skip to navigation


There are a number of different government regulators take consider threatened species protection when assessing the impact of an activity. This means that you may need to provide information to more than one agency, and you may need more than one permit.

Most of the regulators you may need to consider in relation to threatened species in Tasmania are listed below. If you are still unsure which regulator/s you need to deal with, try the relevant Activity Information Page and see which are the most likely regulators for your planned activity.

For detailed advice regarding how a particular activity is likely to be assessed in relation to threatened species:

​For more complex activities, it may be helpful to employ an environmental consultant to assist you with your legal and planning requirements in relation to threatened species.

There is also more information on the state assessment process and regulators on the Tasmanian Planning Commission Website and the Environmental Defenders Office Website.

Regulators: Tasmanian Government

Consideration of impacts on threatened species may be required in the course of obtaining a development approval (usually a planning permit) in accordance with Tasmania's Resource Management and Planning System. In general, developments such as new houses or subdivisions are assessed by the local Council, while larger developments or those that may impact on environmental quality as defined under the Tasmanian Environmental Management and Pollution Control Act 1994 are assessed by the Environment Protection Authority - see links below

Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment (DPIPWE): The Tasmanian DPIPWE issues permits for a number of activities in relation to threatened species. The relevant DPIPWE Divisions and permits are listed below.

Natural and Cultural Heritage Division (NCH): DPIPWE's NCH Division regulates permits for any activity involving the collection, disturbance, import, export or destruction of plants and animals in Tasmania including both threatened and non-threatened species. Check both this page and this one for the permit forms you may need.

Water and Marine Resources Division: DPIPWE's Water and Marine Resources Division regulates the taking or storage of water from water courses for commercial purposes (including dams). This Division  also includes the Wild Fisheries Management Branch and the Marine Farming Branch (details below).

Wild Fisheries Management Branch: DPIPWE's Wild Fisheries Management Branch issues fisheries permits in relation to taking marine fish (defined to include marine invertebrates). If these species are threatened an additional permit from the Resource Management & Conservation Division will also be required.

Marine Farming Branch: DPIPWE's Marine Farming Branch regulates all marine farming operations.

Environmental Protection Authority (EPA): DPIPWE's EPA regulates developments and activities that may impact on environmental quality.

Parks and Wildlife Service (PWS): Tasmania's PWS regulates various activities which might affect threatened species on reserved land.

Animal Ethics Committee (AEC): You must have AEC approval from an institution licenced under the Tasmanian Animal Welfare Act 1993 to take or disturb vertebrate or higher invertebrate (eg octopus and squid) wildlife for research (including surveys). The AEC approval process is managed separately from the scientific permit approval process, and is applied for separately.

Forest Practices Authority (FPA): Tasmania's FPA may require a Forest Practices Plan for a wide range of forest practices.

Inland Fisheries Service (IFS): Tasmania's IFS is responsible for the protection of native freshwater fauna, and regulate permits for catching freshwater fish.

Regulators: Local Government

Tasmanian Local Councils: Local Councils may regulate some activities that have the potential to affect threatened species within their municipal area.

Regulators: Commonwealth Government

EPBC Act referrals: The Commonwealth Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities (DSEWPAC) regulates matters of national environmental significance, including threatened species listed under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999.

CITES permits: DSEWPAC also regulates the international export of threatened plants and animals under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora.